Thursday, January 10, 2008

Mission: Organization

Hailey's been sick this week so I haven't had much free time at all to do anything let alone blog. I think I've also hit a blogging slump. I'll think of things to write about and by the end of the day I can't remember a darn thing. I've spent what little energy and time I have had on the other blog...the one where I pretty much talk non stop about Hailey and post a lot of pictures(it's hard to bore family on the subject of Hailey). She's pretty much all I can think about right now.

But, since it's been a while since I've written anything I'll take the few minutes I have this morning to attempt a post.

For Christmas I asked my mother for a huge favor. I asked her to FINALLY help me unpack, organize and clean my house. When we moved in I had little to no help since D was out of town on a golf trip and things pretty much just got thrown into my dining room. I mean the whole contents of my house except the furniture were literally piled almost to the ceiling. Slowly I regained use of my dining room (we even have a dining set now GASP!) by moving the boxes of our crap to other rooms. It got to the point where being in my house really stressed me out. I like organization. I like cleanliness. I don't like to walk through my bedroom and have to squeeze around the towers of boxes, hoping one doesn't topple over on me (ok that's an exaggeration, they were safely stacked...the towers wouldn't topple...don't want people to think I was putting Hailey in danger here). I don't like feeling like my house is dirty just because of clutter. But I just don't have the time or the energy to get my house in order by myself. I needed help. Thankfully, my mom agreed and she is awesome at this sort of thing. Last weekend we had BEAUTIFUL weather around here. It was a wonderful weekend! I realized I had been suffering from a case of the winter blues...it's amazing what a little nice weather and fresh air will do for your spirits! We opened up the windows and spent our mornings in the back yard playing. I realized something while I was sitting there drinking my coffee, watching Hailey go from toy to toy. She really is a lucky little girl. We may not have a ton of money, but she has everything she needs or wants right now. My mom and I are total bargain hunters(it gives us a thrill...ok it gives ME a thrill, she just likes to save money) and have found Hailey a whole back yard full of toys for less than 50$. She's got a slide, a sandbox, trikes etc. I'm REALLY looking forward to spring where we can play outside every weekend!! The afternoons we spent getting started on organizing my house! We did a LOT in a short amount of time. Dressers were moved, huge amounts of crap were thrown away(3 big boxes of stuff, various little boxes and one HUGE yard waste bag full of crap!!)...we have almost reclaimed our bedroom and after moving all the computer equipment, printers, camera accessories etc. to the bar we now have a dining table to eat at again! We got a lot accomplished and the place is already looking better. Our bedroom looks huge! Our tentative plans for this weekend are to gather up ALL our clothes(which would fill a room in itself...we've accumulated a huge amount of clothing over these last 10 years that we can both still wear--we don't even remember what we have 99% of the time!!), go through all of them and weed out what we don't wear to donate to good will(a lot of mine will go to my niece...she's like 10 years old and almost my size, I'm such a runt) and then finally PUT THEM AWAY. I have a horrible habit. I don't mind doing the laundry or even folding it. But I hate putting it away. We just don't have enough storage for all our clothes. So that's part of the plan. The other part is maybe taking Hailey's crib down (finally! It's been sitting there empty for months!) and buying a little shelf to organize our bathroom products. I have been seriously sore all week, my knees and ankles have been hurting really bad, from moving all the big stuff last weekend. My mom thought I'd want to take this weekend off, but I'm way too excited about the finished product!! Hopefully this weekend will be a bit more low key than last but an equally productive one!

1 comment:

Erin said...

I love the feeling of being organized! It is hard to stay on top of it with a little one, but now that the big stuff is done, you can manage it a lot easier!